Aloe Vera - What Is It and Why We Love to Use It

If you’re as obsessed about natural ingredients as we are, chances are you’ve probably used aloe vera for your skin at some point. Aloe vera is often the go-to remedy to treat a variety of skin ailments and remains a popular ingredient throughout the cosmetic industry today. You can find it incorporated in numerous skincare products ranging from face creams and lotions to cleansers and soap bars. Let’s discuss everything aloe and why this miracle plant deserves the hype.

What is Aloe Vera?

Aloe vera, known scientifically as Aloe barbadensis, is a cactus-like plant that grows in many regions of the world. There are actually over 400 different types of aloe vera plant varieties. The most commonly used, however, is the Aloe barbadensis Miller variety, known for its thick, edible leaves and yellow flowers. Historically, aloe has been used for medicinal and beauty purposes in countries like India, Mexico, China, and Egypt. It is said that queens of Egypt like Cleopatra and Nefertiti even incorporated aloe as part of their beauty routines.

The plant’s succulent leaves contain a gelatinous substance that has been used to treat many skin issues including sun damage, acne, inflammation, and dryness, among others. This clear gel, (not to be confused with the yellow sap, which can be toxic) consists of mostly water, making up about 95% of its composition. Because of its high water content, it can topically hydrate the skin as well as lock in moisture. The other 5% is made up of a combination of beneficial nutrients like amino acids, vitamins, enzymes, and fatty acids that can also enhance your beauty routine.

Amino Acids

Aloe vera gel provides 20 of the 22 amino acids the body needs, 7 of which are essential amino acids. These important nutrients are the building blocks of proteins and aid the body in wound healing. They also help increase the amount of collagen in wounds, facilitating skin cell regeneration and repair of damaged skin.


Aloe vera is rich in vitamins A, C, and E, which have antioxidant properties and can help your skin fight free radical damage. It also helps protect your skin and soothe inflammation while improving the appearance of dry skin and fine lines and wrinkles.

Enzymes & Fatty Acids

Aloe vera gel contains at least eight different enzymes that, when applied topically, can help reduce excessive inflammation. Likewise, fatty acids found in the aloe vera plant also have anti-inflammatory action and antiseptic properties.

A Natural Way to Improve Your Skin with Aloe Vera

Whether you have sensitive, dry, or acne-prone skin, aloe vera should definitely be on your products’ list of ingredients. To take advantage of the amazing benefits of aloe vera, some of our products to try are our Aloe Vera Soap bar, our Hydrating Cream, and our Nourishing Cream, which are all enhanced with pure aloe vera.

Back to blog